I’ve made books using Coptic Stitch in the past but yesterday I explored a method new to me.
Previously I’ve worked individual threads up through the text block. So eight holes along the spine equates to 8 separate threads and 8 needles worked in tandem up through the signatures, either front to back or in reverse.
Another method I’ve used is only suitable for an even number of holes in the spine and involves one thread per pair of holes with a needle on either end. I like this because the chains can be worked in opposing directions creating a pattern. Again the system is to work up through the pile of signatures front to back or vice versa.
Yesterday involved one long thread and needle which was worked along the length of the individual signature, so securing it to the previous one (or cover) in its entirety before moving to the next. So, horizontal work instead of vertical.
Covers: 2mm book board, 110gsm monoprinted cartridge paper
Text block: Assorted water colour and drawing papers, 100-110gsm
Thread: Waxed linen yarn Nel 16/2
Quite a good result, interesting method, fiddly when attaching the final cover.