Banksia Book – Constructed

Over recent months I’ve documented my progress in printing some Banksia themed solar plates I was given late last year. Some of them are quite worn, or possibly not etched deeply enough to start with, but they have been a joy to print. I’ve blogged several times showing some of the outcomes on plain paper and I also outlined how I hand dyed some paper ready to take the printed images before collating them into a book.

Once my book was planned I realised that I was short of images so I added to the mix a few of my own Banksia prints and included pockets with ‘hidden’ prints inside, as well as a printed jigsaw in an internal envelope featuring circular cutouts.

Take a look through the book in the slide show below.

This soft-bound book was stitched using a simple Japanese stab binding technique. The pages are slightly warped as the paper used wasn’t designed to be plant-dyed (obviously soaked), dampened for intaglio printing and then wet again with glue to adhere some of the additional collaged hand-made papers and chine colle prints. Despite being placed under weights for over a week it determined not to lie flat.

However, the finished piece was presented to the lady who originally gave me the plates as a memento of her print plates and she was delighted. So job well done I reckon.

Note to self: I need to resolve the buckling issue for the future, obviously that comes down to paper choice.


About Claire B

I am a passionate printmaker, paper maker and book artist. I'm a 'forever' student and frequently attend courses and workshops to extend and improve my creative skills.
This entry was posted in My books & journals, My Creative Pieces, My prints and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Banksia Book – Constructed

  1. nolaarcher says:

    A lovely piece of work and fascinating to see it emerge.

    • Claire B says:

      Thanks Nola. It took a while as each plate had to be trialed several times due to their unknown print quality. They are super close-up images of different aspects of the Banksia, not always obvious but I’m happy with the results. The lady cried when I gave her it. Now she has a record of her plates.
      She also gave me a pile of solar plates with Waratah images and another with Gymea Lilies. So I’ll have to work on those as well. I’ve done a couple of the Waratah ones but need to play with colours and check out the rest of the plates.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s