A friend gave me some semi-prepared pineapple fibre to make into paper. The fronds of the pineapple plant had been stripped and dried before being shaped into a hank.
I pulled it apart, chopped it into short lengths and boiled it with caustic soda for a couple of hours before cooling, rinsing and pulping. Even though I did a pulp test in advance of pulling a sheet I soon realised that it liked to drape itself all over the deckle making it very difficult to remove and so form a fairly neat paper edge. Doubling the time I normally take when pulling sheets, I carefully tried to remove excess pulp from the deckle by either pushing it down onto the mold or gently plucking it away with my finger nails.
An aching back and two afternoons later I achieved 30 lightweight sheets, around 45-50gsm I estimate. Their colour would best be described as ‘natural’, a slightly light-wood off-white, if that makes sense.
The edges are still very ragged and I haven’t decided what to use them for yet but they’ll make a good addition to my paper supply.
Here’s a close-up of the texture.
And even though they are quite thin sheets they are extremely strong.
I admire your continued enthusiasm, research and experimentation. Thank you again for your advice and support last year with my printing assignment.