Design Play: Circuit Project – Getting started

The value of experimentation

No-one gets it right first time and I’ve a vision in my head that has been difficult to translate into reality.

Having had a brain stuffed with home renovations, builders, paint choices and so on for well over a month now I’ve had little head space available for any creativity.  However, I still have my new project, Circuits, simmering under the surface.

A few weeks ago I started looking at ways to create coloured backgrounds for future prints to sit atop.  I’ve been gradually building this resource, with little success until today.

Here’s an overview of my experimentation:

These collagraphed bases were posted a few weeks ago and have been relegated to the recycling bin.

Yupo stencils, monoprinted in a variety of positions and colours.  I’ll just show one sample as they aren’t giving me what I want (and they’re terrible).  Also gone to recycling.

Alcohol inks with blending medium on very textured hand-made paper.  OK, not what I want for this project as I’m looking for something softer but usable pieces for something else I have on the go.

This accident had me thinking differently.  This is the back of the blue alcohol ink piece in the middle of the set of 5 shown above.

The blending solution, which is solvent based and applied with a dropper, has migrated through the paper to the back.  As I’m using these pieces for another project I gave the backs a wash with water-colour and, hey presto, the blending solution repelled the  water-colour.

I brushed a piece of Stonehenge printing paper with water and, using a dropper, I dropped water-colour onto it to see how far it would spread.

The answer is, too far.  But I’m getting closer.  Not quite enough definition in the colour but there is a variation in tone happening.

I dropped water-colour onto dry paper and left the blob to dry overnight.  I dropped plain water onto the same print paper in another area.  It sat in a large bubble, so I moved it around a little before dropping water-colour paint into it.  I left it to dry out for 15 hours.

I think I’ve got what I want.  The water-colour paint has separated a little giving a change of colour, especially where it sits at the edge of the original water layer.  I like, and want, the sharp outline while maintaining a soft centre.

Interestingly, considering blue is my least favourite colour by a mile, I like the effect I see here and this colour should work well with my linocut prints.  Now I’ve got to create larger pieces ready for work in the print studio.

About Claire B

I'm a passionate printmaker, paper-maker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I've stitched from early childhood and am a perpetual student, loving learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Design Play, My Creative Pieces, My painting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s