About 18 months ago I shredded some of my print proofs and recycled them into new paper, ready to be printed on again. At that time, a lot of what I pulped had been printed in black or dark inks so my new paper came out light grey. See the post here.
This time, however, much of what I shredded, then pulped, had yellows and ochre, with a range of blue ink printed on the paper, such as the print below. No, this one didn’t go in the mix, it got a late reprieve as I decided I like it,, but others in the series didn’t fare so well!
I then prepared the coloured pulp for new paper.
I thought it might be fun to make the white sheets A4 size and place the coloured pulp into the centre A5 size. Sort of replicate the idea of a print on a larger piece of paper – just with the patterning ‘re-arranged’ (actually, obliterated!!).
I set them to dry on the window.
I kept the pulp coarse so that I would get some of the tiny print fragments showing. I abandoned the mold and deckle surround so that the smaller paper has a rough edge, which seems to blend into the white paper. I overlaid some of the shredded print strips which I hadn’t pulped, and a dried flower that I pinched from someone else working in the studio at the same time.
Now I think it would be fun to take one of my recent prints done on very fine Japanese tissue paper, tear it up and do the same process as above but adding in fragments of the print. That would make an interesting piece for my entry into the upcoming ‘Reuse’ exhibition I’m participating in.