Gabriella Hegyes: Printing from the Land (B)

Part 2:

Gabriella certainly worked us hard and shared a ton of information and samples with us.

Trapping Plant Material:

This was interesting.  I had some very dry, flattened, plant material which was suitable to be trapped between gauze layers.  I went through the process, glued and applied shellac as shown and was amazed to find that colour had leached out from my browned, dried, dead plants.  The green really came through.

Above: The centre stem was dead and grey/brown.  Now you can see the tiny leaves have reverted to green and even the stalks have some colour.

The larger leaves were dried and grey but now look fresh and green again.

Left: This plant root was dried, trapped and then sepia oil ink was applied to give definition to the texture.  The gauze was crumpled when drying to form the folds.

Items can be trapped between different materials creating a range of effects.

Above: Trapping the twig.  After the sample is dry, having been fully sealed.  String trapped in tissue with burn holes.  Tutor samples.

We then went on to explore creating collagraphs.

Advertisements

About Claire B

I'm a passionate printmaker, paper-maker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I've stitched from early childhood and am a perpetual student, loving learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in General fun pursuits, My Creative Pieces, My prints and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s