Whilst I’m still working on my hand-painting for Elian and the Vortex, he is off on another dream adventure.
As per last time, I will provide the print and the viewer should concoct their own story to go with it.
During my 2015 printing course I drew various types of mushrooms.
I grouped, duplicated, resized and reversed them, and considered cropping. Once I’d got the general layout I started working on Elian. He was always going to be ‘dropping in’ so I explored parachutists on-line.
I’m not the best at drawing and rely on Photoshop to help me quite a bit. If I can get part-way there I can use the program to finish off. So I gave him a parachute.
What did we do before design programs? (strived harder to become self-sufficient is the answer I imagine!) By this stage I felt my idea was slowly coming together and I placed Elian in with the giant mushrooms.
It was too sterile and bare, too one-dimensional and static – even though Elian is supposed to be providing movement. I needed some depth and another interest. So I sat, pencil in hand and worked further into the composition.
Drawing is improving and I’m slowly getting the hang of shadowing and shading (although today in some areas I can see mistakes in the finished print). The design was transferred to acetate and etched onto the solar plate ready for printing.
The print below is on 300gsm Fabriano using a 50% black/extender mix to create the grey shading throughout.
Enjoy imagining your own story around this adventure!