In my last post (here) I made a decision to continue working on my water-colour painting.
The boxes are providing an excellent base around which to form some connections and I started with some simple graphite lines.
I continued with linear stitching. These were made deliberately small so the lines would appear a little more uneven than the precisely drawn graphite grids. My hand-dyed variegated threads were used – in various weights, and the colours gradually shift across the piece.
Time to add some dimension:
Then some heavy ‘stop’ points for the eye to explore and consider. This is to be the final part of the work and should make a small statement without overwhelming the rest. The stitches should be noticed but not major focal points.
I trialed elongated Sorbello stitch with different weights of yarn. Decided to vary the thickness depending on the box size.
This project has been a departure for me, something completely different. I’m no great painter, but I am a very experienced stitcher and combining the two on paper is a whole new direction to explore.