Beach-wear and accessory brand: Combined lino & monoprint.
Whilst at Cronulla with my camera last week I wasn’t just aware of my generalised surroundings and scenery, I was also people-watching. One things that struck me is how popular Billabong brand beach and casual wear is. Everyone was wearing it. I tried to think who their main rival is but, not being in the surf/beach world, I couldn’t come up with a viable alternative. So I decided to create my own brand and logo.
In my photos I’d caught a wooden slatted bin with a metal insert. (Quite old-fashioned because nowadays they have enclosed square bins with plastic liners.) Remove the legs and it reminded me of an office waste paper bin.
I liked the wooden panels and I liked the wood grain. So, after drawing the bin with more detail, I started to dis-assemble it into a pile of planks.
I was also working on a brand name. I concentrated on WASTE – from waste paper bin – and wrote down some related words and checked the thesaurus. It gave me a lot of options including ‘fritter’. To fritter something away – waste it. My outline sketch of wood planks brought to mind chips (Australians: read ‘hot chips’ here as opposed to chips which are called crisps in the UK – anyone else: well, just work it out!). What are other names for chips? French fries, pommes frites. My husband is French, so pommes frites is a term I know well. Seems to relate (in the main – sound-wise) to fritter.
Fritter. Now let’s make it my own: friter, fritta, frita, phrita. Fritta works for me. The ‘fritta clothing co’. A brand is born.
I played with the concept on Photoshop, finally coming up with a logo and background for it to sit on. I carved the lino and took a rubbing to check the balance (in reverse obviously) and mixed up my chosen colour palette. I am aiming this campaign at the 14-35 year old male market, hence my choice of mainly blues and greens.
Images from top: A positive mask was placed under a sheet of thick acetate and heavily extended inks were applied by brush, followed by a light roller. Middle: Clingfilm (Gladwrap) was crumpled on to the surface. Bottom: A negative mask was placed over the inked acetate and a print was taken.
This is the first time I have ever cut a lino block surround to the shape of the design so that has been an interesting experience. A proof of the block was taken (followed by further carving).
I then superimposed my brand onto some clothing to see just how it would look.