Print 1. Project 13: Further prints.

I know I’m supposed to be moving on but I just couldn’t resist another couple of horse prints.  Yes, I’ve completed the exercise but where’s the fun if that’s all I aspire to do?  So I dedicated today to play a bit more with colours and techniques.

My theme was blue and green with a touch of red and yellow.

P13-F9Left: 110gsm cartridge paper, teal horses proof.  I find that the lino block works much better if a few prints have been taken on cartridge paper first (and it’s a good way to test the colour scheme before using more expensive paper).  New ink seems to adhere well when there is a little remaining from a previous run.  Right: Awagama Hosho paper.  Blue and green inks were mixed with around 75%-80% extender so they became very translucent.  Using small rollers these were rolled across the foamex surface several times, overlapping and mixing until there were no roller lines visible.  The ink was removed from the flowers and they were hand-painted in red.  Bubble-wrap was lightly pressed on the far right hand side and the mask was applied.  You can see in the print that there is more white showing through on the right because of the bubble-wrap texture.  When the lino was prepared, I again removed the ink from the flowers using a cotton bud and re-coloured them by brush with yellow.  Once this was printed they became green as they mixed with the blue below.

P13-F10Left: Awagama Hosho paper.  No bubble-wrap was used in this print.  The colour of the flowers was reversed, with the yellow ones on the foamex and the red on the lino.  This created a cleaner and clearer outcome in those areas.  The differentiation between the blue and green rolling wasn’t terribly evident so I brushed yellow over some sections to give me a brighter green.  I didn’t use the mask.  Right: Chinese cotton paper (fairly lightweight).  This print is very similar to the previous one but bubble-wrap was applied to the base, as I like the effect, and the mask was used.

The mood created by this colour scheme is totally different to the previous samples which were dark horses and a very yellow based background.  There I felt the vibrancy and excitement of the fun fair, here I feel calmer and the background seems like rippling water.

Advertisements

About Claire B

A passionate embroiderer, a printmaker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I'm a perpetual student and love learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Print 1: Assignment 5, Printmaking 1 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Print 1. Project 13: Further prints.

  1. Pingback: Print 1. Assignment 5: On-line submission | TactualTextiles

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s