Prints and card making

I’ve been involved with a couple of people in making a selection of cards for an upcoming exhibition.

Printed & Stitched cards:

Print1-P5-finalCI took my lino cut from project 5 as the base for one set.  I rust dyed a large piece of fabric, cut it into sections and printed with sepia.  Using paper strips to mask lino areas I was able to pick which sections I wanted.

With my friend Mary to help, we quickly got into a rhythm and managed to produce 25 quality prints in about 1 1/2 hours.

Printing-progressI then cut pelmet vilene, adhered it to the back of each print and took them all along to our group meeting where the members added some simple stitching to enhance the surface and add some detail.  The edges were finished off, brads were inserted into the corners and the prints were attached to the card stock.

Printing-finishedBeaded bead cards:

Wrapped paper beadsI took some bead samples to the meeting and showed how to colour a paper carrier bag and crumple it ready for twisting into bead shapes.BB1

Meantime, the other ladies were threading beads onto wire ready to wrap around the paper once it was dry, cut to size and wound to shape.

Beads1

Another member, Robyn, free-motion stitched some fantastic multilayered fabrics for us to attach sequin waste and beads to the surface.

And we ended up with a set of spectacular sparkly cards.

BB-finishedFabric leaves:

Robyn crumpled and painted brown paper to make a base to attach her lovely organza leaves to.  These were then finished off with metallic wax to add a shimmery richness to the composition.  Really lovely results.

FL-finishedSilk paper & leaves:

I made some silk paper, painted some with watery acrylic paint (left others natural) and added metallic wax highlights.  Skeletonised leaves were embedded into the paper before adding the wax.  Teabags and handmade paper were used to enhance the arrangement to create a layered outcome.  Luckily I was given some cranberry tea-bags which are a gorgeous deep pink, and some gold leaves.  So that enabled me to make two sets of similar cards.

SP1Stitched leaves:

I had a sheet of elephant dung paper embedded with dyed skeletonised leaves.  I tore some out and stitched them on to fabric and paper bases before attaching to the cards.

SL1Mary, Robyn and I had a good time making the cards, adding the ‘handmade’ labels and slipping them into the cellophane bags.  It also gave us a chance to get to know each other better.  What better way to make new friends than spending time together doing something we love?  I hope the cards sell well after all our work.

Advertisements

About Claire B

I'm a passionate printmaker, paper-maker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I've stitched from early childhood and am a perpetual student, loving learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in My Creative Pieces, Print 1: Experimentation and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Prints and card making

  1. Sue whittaker says:

    I think your work is fabulous and your process is inspiring.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s