Print 1. Project 8: Review

Reduction lino cutting

Due to some severe demands on my time over the last couple of months I’ve taken far too long on this section.  I had hopes of producing 2 entirely different sets of prints from 2 very different start points, but events conspired to undermine that.

Instead I concentrated on perfecting one good design and producing it in a couple of alternative colour choices.  These were the criteria I set myself as personal goals within this project:

  • Create a repeatable design that would be suitable as a printed fabric, especially for furnishings.  I specifically had in mind upholstery.
  • Ensure that whilst the main aim was to repeat the pattern it would also stand alone as a single larger image, as cushion covers or single panels.
  • Choose strong and vibrant colour palettes.  Magazines and TV advertising showing home interiors promote neutral colour-ways with large, light and airy open-plan settings.  My aim was to insert a dynamic focal interest within this type of setting.  Do we all really want to live in a simple cream or beige world?


  • My choice was to create a central Wow factor within a minimalist setting.  I researched fabric styles, furniture options and decided that my design would suit a wing chair – busy, dominating but not totally overpowering and enough of a feature to add interest to the plain settings above.  Cushion covers in the same pattern, enlarged, would unite the scene.  My Google ‘more vibrant’ furniture fabric search threw up, in part:


  • I also found another interesting site which demonstrated the value of modular seating and I feel my fabric would work extremely well in this way.  Single colours would be extracted from the pattern and created as plain fabrics to frame the busy pattern and enhance the cushion covers.

Modular-sofa-multiI’ve really enjoyed this project.  As is obvious by now I’m a planner, so reduction lino printing suits my personality: selecting a suitable design, serious organisation of layers, systematic order of work, colour considerations when overlaying and the like.

Overall, despite the new registration system I tried which I’m not keen on, my results have come out very well and I’ve achieved what I set out to do.  Whilst I haven’t yet created perspective as per some of the professional artists I’ve been researching I have attained a certain level of dimension and life within the design which was missing from my overlapping circles pieces in project 7.

Resources: – various pages
Google search on contemporary furniture, contemporary living spaces, 1950s fabric covered furniture, wing chairs, etc..


About Claire B

I'm a passionate printmaker, paper-maker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I've stitched from early childhood and am a perpetual student, loving learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Print 1: Assignment 3, Print 1: Project & Course Reviews, Printmaking 1 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s