After re-printing my images from project 5 I had quite a bit of ink left on the roller and the print prep area. Using offcuts from the various papers I’ve been printing on I ran some smaller pieces through an embossing machine. I opened the embossing folders, carefully keeping the paper in place whilst I lightly ran the print roller over the surface.
The plate on the left was embossed with the pattern raised so the ink caught the fine lines. The right hand picture shows a different plate and reverse image, where the background was embossed and raised, catching the ink. The unprinted sunken image is crisply defined.
The left piece was 350gsm Hahnemuhle paper, used dry, so it was hard to emboss and the ink lifted part of the surface. Next time I’ll do these experiments with dampened paper, the same way I’m now printing.
Above right is one of my favourite embossing plates, it reminds me of a stylised aerial design I made during the last course, shown on the right.
The embossing plate with used with the main design up so the ink would catch it. It’s quite a shallow plate so the roller caught quite a bit of the background. This gave me some more ideas.
On the left the design is similar to the previous one but made a little differently. Up to this point I had been holding the paper in place over the embossing plate so the roller wouldn’t flatten the paper and ruin the image. This time I allowed the paper to be picked up by the ink-loaded roller and to wrap itself around the roller. This has caused the image to flatten a little and given a much more speckled look throughout.
On the right I have reversed the embossing plate, held the paper within the grooves and run the inked roller over, thereby creating a fairly solid printed background.
If I continue down this route I could stitch all these papers together and make a huge paper collage. That could be interesting.