Using the candle image.
This image from the previous section didn’t come out terribly well so I decided to use it as a base to add more layers.
I thinned my light yellow ink and printed a light wash over the entire piece. The idea is to try to create a candle-lit impression.
It’s mixed well with the pale blue below and has already brightened the original image.
I cut more masks and created a yellow/orange print placed to indicate the spread of light from the flame.
The next layer was cut forming a moth and the shadow of the candle and base.
The piece is starting to take on some life now.
The final layer was cut to add a deeper shadow in the lower areas which lie outside the light beam. Initially I was going to use black over parts of the grey but decided this was too harsh so mixed a charcoal grey instead.
This was lightly printed by hand so I obtained a grainy transfer over the grey.