Print 1. Project 3: Experimentation

Playing with the images.

I have to confess to getting quite frustrated with the printing results so far.  So, to lighten my mood, I had a mess about for my own enjoyment instead of trying for the outcomes required by the course stage.

I started with my stitched paper, printed after my research into Bruno Leti.

P1-Exp1The ghost print is especially interesting with the stitch lines coming through strongly.


Ghost print.  After removing the mask I rubbed away some of the sky with my fingers and added some detail for the field and fence below (not easy to see really).  On the left I used a wooden tool to add some vague foliage.

You can see very clearly above what happens with the print and the halo effect I detailed in my last post.  Once the mask is lifted there is a sharp edge around the bird where the paint wasn’t lifted on to the original print and the outer halo effect is very evident.


Ghost print.  Absolutely not what is being looked for at this stage in the course but probably the best piece I’ve done so far in my view.  I did a lot of work on the back of the mask before removing it, followed by some direct rubbing on the plate.  The line down the left hand side is due to unevenness in the paper.  Who would know that this few  minutes messing around, on cheap photocopy paper, would produce something a bit better than my ‘proper’ work.


About Claire B

I am a passionate printmaker, paper maker and book artist. I'm a 'forever' student and frequently attend courses and workshops to extend and improve my creative skills.
This entry was posted in Printmaking 1, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s