Print 1. Project 1: Tulip monotype prints

And finally ……….

Deb posted a very helpful tip on my last blog post regarding printing on pre-soaked paper.  So today I’ve spent the day looking into that.  Along with some helpful comments from my tutor, who I wrote to for advice on improving my results, I’ve made some quite large changes to my working practice.

Keeping my oil paints thicker and more sticky, I worked on my design using paint brushes for the tulip and a rag to lightly add a little background here and there.  I’m the first to admit I’m not the greatest painter in the world so improving my brushwork is important to me.

Still-life-6Painted print plate with masked off surround.

I soaked some 145gsm bamboo paper for about 15 minutes, towel dried it and put the design & paper through the press.  I also reduced the press pressure.

Still-life-7At last !!!  Something resembling a decent print.  What can I say, other than thanks for the extremely useful tip, Deb.

However, the first thing I noticed (nothing wrong with the print itself) was that I had accidentally left the inner petal light when, of course, it was in shadow and should have been darker.

Still-life-8Left – the plate after printing.  Middle – the first print.  Right – the ghost print.  Unfortunately I’ve made the inner petal a bit too long in this drawing but the shadowing is better.  It’s surprisingly hard to accurately assess when you are working on a clear plate.  Lots of things to take note of.

I also decided to put on a couple of ferns Still-life-9 as a resist.  Hard to see on the photo but this close-up gives a bit of an idea.  They have also nicely embossed the paper a little.  The resist shaping would have been better if I had made the ink a bit thicker instead of dabbing it on lightly.  The green might then have shown between some of the small fronds.

The main print was on 85gsm mulberry paper and the ghost on the 145gsm bamboo paper.  Both were pre-soaked.

Finally, I’m getting somewhere.


About Claire B

I'm a passionate printmaker, paper-maker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I've stitched from early childhood and am a perpetual student, loving learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Print 1: Assignment 1, Printmaking 1 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Print 1. Project 1: Tulip monotype prints

  1. Deb says:

    Looking good! Glad it is working better!

  2. Jane Bodnaruk says:

    also glad its all improving – felt bad I had nothing to shine any light on your difficulties

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s