Having read through much of my new course material, and been given a choice of materials, I have decided to use oil based paints. Whilst I am not enthusiastic about the possible odour and the clean-up routine I believe they will give me a better printed outcome than water-based products. Having done a very small amount of printing in the past I am aware of how fast water-based products can dry, and other issues associated with them, and I feel this may compromise the outcome of my prints.
As recommended, I have two large sheets of glass in place and my rollers, palette knives and barren in a ‘tools’ area. My oil paints, solvent, latex gloves and clean-up rag container will normally live to the right of the glass, but are here for the sake of the photo. I took a lot of advice before settling on my paint brand and I’m delighted that they apparently clean-up with light vegetable oil and not turps or white spirit. The colour range is a little limited and I’d hoped to get warm and cool in each of the primary colours but at this stage I have only managed to obtain cool yellow, warm red and blue. Along with black, white and extender I feel this is enough to start with, and I’ll be able to mix a fairly good range of other colours from these.
My colour wheel and value finder hang on the wall in a very handy spot. Once I’m in print mode I can see there will be some experimentation throughout the day to discover when the light is most favourable, as I’m right in front of the window.