Having practiced extensively on different thicknesses of fabric and adjusting the tension, circle size, density and threads accordingly, I started with the flower foot attachment on the sewing machine.
Delighted by the results but devastated that the foot spring broke after these few shown in the picture. There’s a definite design flaw with this mechanism as it’s the second one that has broken after about 25-30 circles being stitched. A new one is in the post as I type.
Unfortunately this caused a significant delay while I attempted to stitch accurate zig-zag circles on trial felt pieces without the attachment before moving on the larger felt piece.
Once the circles were stitched and trimmed I inserted my felt balls in some. These were needlefelted to another very lightweight felt base before being stitched in place. I intended making wire mesh domes to put in most of the other holes (see above left) but didn’t like the effect at all once they were done. So using the same lightweight felt I had made for the felt balls base I cut discs and placed them underneath the remaining holes.
I also made another set of cords, this time a variety of greens and browns.
The initial drawing from my storyboard shows the fishing net caught up within the algae.
I chose a variegated gimp to make this. Whilst gimp is difficult to work with and the netting knots may loosen, it has the shiny synthetic look I’m after without the weight and rigidity of plastic twine. I bought a couple of twines but neither can be manipulated into a netting scale that fits with the work.
I also used a couple of drink-can ring-pulls threaded on to the gimp showing other man-made items trapped within the ecosystem and becoming part of the encroaching algae.
I tied off the net and brought in new lengths several times as I want a few ends to work with. These will be either stitched in or left trailing. As the net was couched on to the main piece more areas were either undone or twisted together to maximise an organic shape rather than the regularity of the original knotted grid.
The work so far: