In Stage 2 I was looking closely at two distinct themes – one (Theme 1) a free-flowing lacy hanging and the other (Theme 2) a structured, folded and manipulated piece. Moving on from this start point I’ve decided to abandon the structured fully formed ideas and concentrate on Theme 1. However, I’ll be incorporating some aspects from Theme 2 such as the torn layered fabrics, free motion stitching, flower foot ‘portholes’ and the raw edges.
Part of the reason for my choice is one of portability. I would like to produce something that is transportable within my A3 satchel measurements but can unfold to a bigger art piece without noticeable damage. A large fully structural piece may get damaged in transit, will not fold down particularly well and will be limited in dimension. A flowing wall hanging, using a softer fabric approach, will have the advantage of being able to be folded or rolled and I can therefore create something in a larger size – weight depending!!
Above: Looking at hanging options to create layers of overlapping fabrics. Options 1 and 2 can be no larger than A3 to fit in the postal satchel, as they are rigid frames. Option 3 has possibilities if a flexible curve is used.
Above: Adjustable hanging options. At this stage the quilters flexible rule is the best option as it is lightweight, very flexible and can be folded for transportation. When the artwork is hung it can be flat, placed around a corner so the piece shows on two walls or curved creating undulations in the hanging – so adding to the dimensionality. I have purchased a 60cm quilters rule and, at this stage, the size I hope to work to is 60 x 90cm.
Above: Two fabric layers hung separately with a small gap between. Holes in the front work enable the viewer to see through – it would be brilliant to make tunnels behind these holes to spy through. Could be an issue with hanging the front piece as it has no straight edge.
Above: Instead of hanging them separately and the front piece having tunnels through to the back the two layers could be joined and the front piece could have ‘eruptions’ coming forward. The holes within the eruptions would show the fabric beneath. I might even be able to stuff the holes with something interesting, so adding a different focal interest point.
Above: Looking at the front layer still. Possibly use felting techniques to create a bubble-like surface using silk chiffon on the surface. Thick knobbly yarns with large knots could be trapped within and the eruptions could be made within the felt. If a gauze or muslin base is included I can stitch the flower foot circles towards the edging and hanging off the piece.
Above: Considering the base fabric and layout of the front algae. Does it have to be one big piece? I think I like a bigger and a smaller section together How rectangular does the base fabric have to be? Will it look too regular or will it just look messy if both the front and the back sections are randomly shaped? I need to start sampling to get a better idea.
Above: I’ve made the decision to attach the front section to the base fabric and produce one piece of work that can be hung in place without any major problems re construction. I was told my final piece for the last course was too complicated (it was three pieces which abutted and a photo was sent showing the layout) and I’m keeping that in mind.
The piece is intended as a single unit and will incorporate focal interest in the form of man-made discarded items trapped within the artwork. The intention is to draw attention to the way rubbish is disposed of and how it becomes integrated into the natural world through advancing algae. I’m not touching on the harm that comes to sea creatures through discarded fishing nets, hooks and the like but people might like to think about that anyway.
The most important things in my personal project are the exploration of new techniques, pushing myself to attempt something completely different to anything I’ve done before, producing a coherent outcome which has evolved from my research and the ability to transport the artwork,
Pingback: Assignment 5 – Stage 5 Building texture | TactualTextiles