Assignment 5 – Stage 3: Colour Development

Developing design ideas – colour choices

Whilst developing my project design I’ve also worked further on my colours choices.  In Stage 2 I chose my palette from a source photo, made some yarn wrappings and painted some swatches.  I used these swatches and wrappings to extend the range and add some highlights.

Colour-sourceI’ve now translated these colours into cloth samples using natural dyeing techniques.  I considered screenprinting but as my final artwork is to be based around rocks, mosses, algae and the underwater world I feel that this more indistinct form of image transfer is more appropriate for my requirements.  Natural dyeing produces a lot of partial prints, colour run and indeterminate but visible marks.  The patterning feels much more part of the cloth than imagery applied to the surface of the cloth.  Screenprinting, be it with paints or dyes, is going to give definite images with crisper edging and I’m not looking for this.  I want a blended, somewhat indiscernible overall effect.

ND-1aAbove: Items on fabric painted with egg for additional protein.  Fabric is then folded in half and wrapped around a wooden block before immersing in dye solution.

ND-1bLeft: Rocket and Aluminium Sulphate dye pot.  Right: Wrapped fabric after boiling.

ND-1cAbove: Finished print on lightweight silk.

ND-2aLeft: Rocket and Copper Sulphate dyed silk wrapped around plumbers pipe and ruched.  Right: Immersing the fabric in gum leaves and Iron Sulphate.

ND-2bLeft: Adding more fabric.  Right: Holding the items down with brick and concrete.  As the samples are wound around wood they have a tendency to rise if not weighted.

ND-3aLeft: Manipulated fabrics ready for the dye pots.  Right: Trying different flora.  The hibiscus came out vibrant green, no pink in sight.  Painting the leaves with egg.

Below are some results:

ND-4aAbove: On the left is silk sateen,  the right hand fabric is georgette.  Both went into the same dye pot.  The hibiscus gave the bright green marks on the left, whilst the orange on both samples came from cinerea (silver dollar).

ND-5aAbove: Left is the overdyed green fabric which was ruched onto the plumbers pipe.  Right is a piece of silk velvet which looks stunning with the sheen across it.

ND-6aAbove: Left is silk paj.  The gum leaf patterns have come out extremely well on this piece. Right is silk chiffon.

ND-7aAbove: String saved after unwrapping the fabrics after dyeing.

Layered-fabricsSo far, with the exception of the velvet, most of what I have used have been lightweight silk fabrics as I intend to tear up and layer in a similar manner to my previous work in Assignment 3 Stage 2 (seen here).

My next task is to explore natural dyeing effects on thicker silk noil.

 

 

Advertisements

About Claire B

A passionate embroiderer, a printmaker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I'm a perpetual student and love learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Assignment 5: Personal Project, Textiles 1: Exploring Ideas and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s