I attempted a much bigger piece here – with moderate success. The lino measured 20 x 30cm.
First carving. This time I understood the colour process, having made a hash of it last time, so I started with process yellow with a smidge of black added.
Second carving. More black added to the same yellow. Much of the background has been removed but I was worried about having such a solid bright yellow base so I left some ‘interference’ to break it up a bit. Remembered to leave the corners intact though – lesson learned from previous sample (blog post 26/10/13).
Combined first and second printing. I made a good registration board so the layers have aligned very well.
Third carving. Much more reduced, including a couple of the corners. Still kept some background interference and tried to add veins to some leaves.
Final outcome. I had wanted to clean the lino up and carve most of it away leaving small areas for a little black in the main pod but the tutor deemed it as finished – so it was.
Overall a great experience not having used oil paints much before (other than the solar plate printing – blog post 30/9/13). I’d like to continue this at home but using water based paints and multiple colours in a single layer. My tutor says water based don’t give such good results but I’d still like to try. Anyone out there with advice on water based paint lino printing I’d love to hear from you.