Assignment 3 Stage 2: Workshop 7

Deconstructing and disintegration.

In this workshop we are looking at altering and eroding the surface of various materials.  I did some experimentation with various items before progressing to a finished sample.

All items were heated with a heat-gun.

Lutradur-1Ultra-thick Lutradur didn’t erode at all, just browned the surface and gave off fumes.

Lutradur-2Black weed suppressant disintegrated very quickly and effectively.  Cooled to a fairly firm surface.

Lutradur-3Very, very lightweight crinkle style Vilene (this could be called Crash but I’ve been through the Freudenburg website searching for the product name and am a little confused by their categories and naming conventions.  I can’t work out which product is which).  Surface distressed well but it seems a shame to heat-treat it because the very nature of the crinkly texture is lost in the disintegration.

Lutradur-4Medium weight Lutradur, gives a good workable base for painting and stitching both before and after heat treatment.

Tyvek-1Thick Tyvek (part of an envelope), painted with acrylic paint, heat-treated with metallic wax highlights.

Tyvek-3Lightweight Tyvek (part of a protective coverall), painted with acrylic paint, heat-treated with metallic wax highlights.

Tyvek-4The same lightweight Tyvek as above but pinned flat before heat treatment.

Finished Sample:

Lutradur-sample-1Medium weight Lutradur with moulding paste dragonfly stencil applied and free-motion machine stitching.

Lutradur-sample-2Applying colour: I wasn’t sure which media would give the best colour results on the synthetic fibre so I started with alcohol inks.  They looks totally amazing whilst wet but after drying I was left with a slightly grubby looking white Lutradur where the colour had simply vanished into the newspaper underneath.  The moulding paste dragonflies retained quite a bit of the pinkish hue though.  I moved to my Brusho paints and got exactly the same result.  So I tried acrylics next, only on the background areas.  They worked quite well but ‘grabbed’ the Lutradur where they initially touched, giving harsh colour changes.  So I sprayed the whole thing with loads of water and turned it around and around letting the paints run and flow together.  A big improvement.

Once dried, the colours had lightened a bit and it was quite effective.  I then pinned the piece down and used the heat gun on the Lutradur whilst protecting the moulding paste motifs.  Next I applied some coloured metallic waxes to enhance some of the burnt textural areas, the raised stitching and the dragonfly wings.  Finally I coated the piece with two layers of gloss Mod Podge.  The gloss hasn’t got much of a sheen on the Lutradur but it is protecting the surface and sealing the waxes.  The dragonflies have ended up with more of a satin sheen.

Lutradur-sample-3A thoroughly fascinating workshop.  Lots of experimentation in my sketchbook for reference and a final outcome I’m pleased with.  The technique is something that I can see being used within my work in the future.  This piece could be layered with different colours behind, attached to another base, further enhanced with hand stitching and beading and has scope to be developed into a book cover, box lid or decorative wall hanging.

The idea for this came to me as a result of the workshop I attended with Isobel Hall earlier in the year where I was first introduced to working with moulding paste as a surface embellishment.

Advertisements

About Claire B

A passionate embroiderer, a printmaker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I'm a perpetual student and love learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Assignment 3: Reveal & Conceal, Textiles 1: Exploring Ideas and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Assignment 3 Stage 2: Workshop 7

  1. Very interesting results Clare, Looks as if it was a super workshop.

    Jacky

  2. Jane B says:

    I was playing with light moulding paste on different surfaces today too

  3. Jane B says:

    Left mine white though. I like your colours

  4. fibresofbeing says:

    Catching up on reading 🙂
    Love your butterflies result, and reading about the combination of materials and techniques you experimented with.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s