Stitched Nets, Grids & Structures.
Having learned some valuable lessons from the knitted nets in Workshop 2 I consciously tried to put some into practice here. My criteria were:
- Work from what I know into an area not so familiar. That way I have at least some techniques I feel comfortable with as a start point.
- Stick to a reduced colour palette, and one I like – in this case black, grey and olive.
- Use a wide range of materials including different weights, thicknesses and opacity.
- Let the project flow without overplanning – which is one of my main shortcomings.
- Black weed suppressant cut as a strip and stitched into a tube.
- This looks like sequin waste but is in fact fabric, some sort of synthetic woven non-fraying net.
- Bright green Bamboozle yarn. 70% bamboo, 30% cotton.
- Grey tubular viscose, which I think is Annyblatt, stuffed with Patons 8 ply Totem wool crepe yarn.
- Image 5 & 6 are both dull green hand dyed cotton tubular yarn stuffed with the same Totem wool.
- The far right image is 2 lengths of the cotton tubular yarn zig-zagged together, followed by 1 length on each side of the shiny grey tubular viscose also attached using machine zig-zag. This made a great slightly padded cord.
- Not shown: Olive DMC Perle 5 cotton.
Instead of making several individual nets / grids I decided to incorporate smaller grids within one larger structure.
Front and back image of first net. Perle 5 cotton was threaded diagonally through either the existing mesh or through the previously woven cotton lengths. This was then stitched around the outer edge and trimmed to size.
Front image of second grid. Floriani Wet N Gone was used as a base to draw the grid in pencil and the Bamboozle yarn was machine zig-zagged in place. The outline edge was straight stitched and the excess threads were trimmed.
Once the above sections were inserted in the larger grid the whole piece was pinned to a cork board leaving a gap of around 2.5 cms between the work and the backing. I was hoping to create some shadow effects.
This piece measures approx 57cm high x 59cm wide. All the strips have been woven so it is fully reversible. The whole thing was made using Wet N Gone and slits were made in this to weave the bands on the underside where previous lengths had been stitched to the Wet N Gone. It worked extremely well.
Each of the small grid areas were encased between two ‘frames’ of weed suppressant before constructing the surrounding structure. Each row of black netting is in two layers which split when they reach the smaller grid areas, one going behind and the other on the front, before rejoining and being stitched together along the rest of the length.
I thoroughly enjoyed making this. My colour palette has worked well and I’m very pleased with the outcome. I’m especially happy with the fact that I didn’t over-measure where the bands were to go and as a result it has a fairly structured appearance but not totally regimented.