Following on from my post of 1st May where I started to develop some source material for design ideas I’ve continued working with the collage I did. These orange motifs came from the negative space that resulted from repeating one of the original shapes I took from the fascia of Federation Square. Note: Refer to previous sketchbook work for details.
I photocopied, traced, resized, coloured and moved these shapes around. Some of this was done on Photoshop and some by hand. I now have a comprehensive library of sharp, jagged motifs, some of which sit quite well together to form a more complex design.
A couple of the shapes I took with me to the Prints Charming screen printing workshop and cut simple templates from paper which were discarded at the end of the day. I also used them to cut away Vilene and print with the Drimarine K dyes.
These couple of pages of work may not look a lot but I’ve got countless paper motifs, in every size, that I’m constantly playing with – overlapping them, arranging them in numerous configurations, spacing them evenly/unevenly, turning them, combining them, discarding them, etc.. However, to photograph every minute of my experimentation may be a little over the top.