It was very enjoyable going through all the exercises with fabrics. Manipulating fabric is such a wide subject and I feel that, even though I did a lot of work, there is so much more to explore. I have hardly touched on much of what I looked at in my text-book The Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolff. However, it’s a valuable asset to my textile library.
I spent a lot of time on the latter part of Project 6 and split Stage 4 into smaller manageable sections, posting to my learning log/blog as I went along. That worked well for me as I felt I explored the different techniques more fully than I would have done otherwise.
I am very pleased with my final larger sample for Project 6 and would love to see it developed with dyed fabric and other enhancements. I understand the purpose at this stage is to keep it plain so that the fabric manipulation and shaping can be seen better but I hope to be able to work on something similar and push it further in the future.
Project 7 has been occupying my mind for a while now and I’m currently twisting and turning ideas in my head. Although I haven’t sent much in the way of samples I have plenty of thoughts on possible directions to take this. I’m very glad that we have been introduced to this piece of work mid way through the course as it gives plenty of time to think about it, do trials, refine ideas and evolve our designs before getting to crunch time when we need to actually produce something.
I don’t have much more to write as I tend to analyse my work as I go and add those thoughts to my learning log.
Looking forward to starting the next project.