Project 6 – Stage 4 Torn Fabric and Final Sample

Three different colours of Thai silk were torn into strips, laid and stitched in rows.  They were then vertically stitched, flipping each alternate fabric as they were reached.

This is my first go at this type of piecing  and next time I’ll try doing it with the strips much closer together so the folds overlap the layer below.  The colours will blend together much better doing it that way.  I like this initial effect but want to see it more involved and dimensional than this.

It reminds me of rows of smiling lips.


Final Sample:

For the main (final) sample of this stage I decided to expand on tearing, tucking and cording.  I have used calico and expanded on one of my pieces in Project 6 Stage 2, as requested in the brief.

I took the top right hand section of the picture, enlarged it and rotated it a little to get the area and direction I was most interested in.

I cut a calico length 50 x 112cm and tore chunks from both ends leaving thin strips.

The strips were formed into cords using a machine braiding foot.  Large tucks were made in the main section using machined straight stitch in V shapes, smaller tucks were stitched in shorter lengths to add further dimension.

The V-shaped tucks were further enhanced, by hand, to create shell tucks – deep at one end, tapering out at the narrower end.  Very hard to see on the picture, even the close up I’ve got here.

The cords were twisted across the work in overlapping lines,with some interwoven.  Small slashes were made in the fabric and the cords were woven in and out, from the front to the back.  These cords were randomly – and in small sections – zig-zagged to the background.  All loose machine thread ends were trimmed except the end/side threads.  I didn’t want a neatened edge as I was trying to show that this is just a small section of a bigger piece of tree bark which continues on.

About Claire B

I'm a passionate printmaker, paper-maker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I've stitched from early childhood and am a perpetual student, loving learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Assignment 3: Creating shapes and three-dimensional forms, Project 6, Textiles 1: A Creative Approach. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Project 6 – Stage 4 Torn Fabric and Final Sample

  1. Pingback: Project 6 Stage 4 – final sample « Fibres of Being

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s