Project 6 – Stage 4 Raised Shapes & Quilting

Here I have taken 2 layers of tissue silk over a calico (ground) base.

Clockwise from triangle:
The triangle is one layer of felt stab stitched to the ground with backstitch around the surface fabric edging.  This has created a low relief.
The circle/dome consists of multiple layers of felt, each getting progressively bigger, stab stitched on top of each other to create a dome shape.  The silk has then been backstitched in place to create a high relief area.
The larger ring is a rubber washer tacked in place between the layers and then  backstitched close to the ring to give a hard high relief and definite shape.
The smaller ring is a similar rubber washer stitched with a spaced chain stitch.  Although the washer is the same height as the other example it doesn’t look it because of the softer and less defined finish.

This sample shows some good dimensional shapes.  The white ring to the left is Perle 8 buttonholed over a cardboard template, then invisibly stitched to the background velvet.

The larger beaded ring has been made using the technique of multiple felt layers, gradually increasing in size, as detailed above.  The final felt ring was covered in white silk before applying to the surface and then peyote beading was woven over the whole structure from the outer edge to the inner.  I started with size 11 Myuki beads and changed to size 15 beads as the area decreased in size.

This cotton was a plain boring brown, so I decided to give it a metallic sheen with Lumiere paints applied with a roller.  Surprisingly, it hasn’t gone stiff at all (I know Lumiere paints shouldn’t affect the fabric handle but I did  apply the colour layers very liberally).

I wanted to do a bit of machine quilting and chose a digitized design, around 10 x 10cm in size.  I made a sandwich of calico, fairly thick wadding and my painted cotton, set the machine up, changed the tension, said a couple of prayers, crossed my fingers and pressed the Start button.  It worked perfectly!!  The result is lovely and because my sandwich was quite thick and the stitching fairly tight it has an excellent dimensional appearance where the light plays across the different densities of stitching and colour.

For this hand quilted sample I layered calico, medium weight wadding, some cut sheers, sateen and organza and finally overlaid the entire surface with a matt, almost-transparent, white polyester organdy.  Simple running stitch has been done using different numbers of stranded cotton together in the needle.

I tried different placements of stitching to see how the effects would look where the light weight fabrics overlapped and a shadow was formed.  Below are close-ups of different areas.

Stitching the edging of the fabric overlap

Stitching to the side of the overlap shadow

Each one looks effective in its own way.

Stitching the centre of the overlay shadow

By planning the fabric colours and overlap resulting colours in advance a quilted piece like this could result in a lot of depth and perceived dimension.

Overlapping circles

This circle drawing I did back in Project 4 would be an excellent trial piece to see the multiple effects of layering sheers and other partially transparent fabrics.

I like the black outlines on the picture and stitching could be applied using the same colour thread throughout so as not to distract from the colour variations.

Advertisements

About Claire B

I'm a passionate printmaker, paper-maker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I've stitched from early childhood and am a perpetual student, loving learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Assignment 3: Creating shapes and three-dimensional forms, Project 6, Textiles 1: A Creative Approach. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Project 6 – Stage 4 Raised Shapes & Quilting

  1. fibresofbeing says:

    What a great range of approaches. The organdy over the sheers looks a really effective way to integrate all the different parts, and the edges look really crisp. Was it cut with scissors? And is it just sewn together or did you use some kind of bonding?
    Cheers
    Judy

    • Claire B says:

      I drew the shapes on to Vleisofix and adhered that to the back of the fabric pieces, cut the shapes out and ironed them on to the wadding. By doing it that way it stops the terrible fraying that organza is prone to. Then with the semi-transparent organdy on the top it made the edges look even crisper as they were pushed flat between the layers.
      It came out very well, plain but well defined. I was dying to embellish it with fancy stitches and beads but restrained myself, with difficulty, to the project requirements.
      Claire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s