Silk painting is optional in the preparation stage of this project and I hadn’t got anything in the way of supplies so I ordered the basics. When they arrived last week I gave it a go.
From top left:
1) Gutta separates each section. I tried to mix colours in the top two areas and then threw in a little salt on the pink and blue sections.
2) Different dilutions of yellow separated by gutta.
3) Silk paint around the edges of the square on dry fabric with dots in the centre.
From bottom left:
4) Coloured stripes on damp fabric
5) Two colours on wetter silk fabric.
6) Silk paint applied as per section 3 but on a wet surface.
These next two samples are fairly basic but I’m happy with the way the colours within the flowers and leaves have diluted towards the centre of each enclosed section. It doesn’t show terribly well on the photos except in the pink petals. As I’m not the greatest at drawing I lightly pencilled in the designs first.
I applied some salt to the background here and left it to dry before brushing it off. The interesting thing is that it creates a resist but also dissolves a bit and can make some interesting shapes. A clear directional dilution can be seen, some salt crystals have a vertical ‘tail’ whilst others have a horizontal one.
Hard to see but if you click on the picture it should come a little bigger so you can see what I mean more clearly.