Project 4 – Stage 2 Exercise 3

Using different media to emphasise final design from Exercise 2.

P4 Stage 2 Ex 3A

Each sample has been done on a watercolour postcard with a pronounced grain (is that called a tooth?).

The first  is dry media using Stabilo Softcolor pencils.  The coverage is very approximate and it was difficult to get any sort of detail in the spines.  I think these pencils would be better suited to abstract drawings or work where no fine detail is required.

P4 Stage 2 Ex 3BThe second piece is using wet media.  I used Caran d’Ache water-soluble colour crayons on a dry background.  After completing the drawings I then used a water pen to overdraw each shape, wetting them but keeping the colours separated.

This worked very well and I can see how you can soften the surface and spread the colours, even mingling them as you go which I didn’t do.  They look like kids colouring crayons with a blunt end.  Are you supposed to use the edge of them or chop them into a semi-point before starting?  Frankly, I think they shouldn’t be used the way I’ve done it by keeping the picture so detailed and they would be better in a more mixed colour and less defined design with colours intermingling and no sharp outlines.  I’ll give that a go in my sketchbook because I would like to see them used in a more effective manner than in this example.

P4 Stage 2 Ex 3CThis is my collaged piece and shows much more promise.  If I was developing this further the first thing I would do is get rid of the comma shapes.  Then I would enlarge the circles – hugely – and make them white.  All up, there would probably only end up being about 3 or 4 full or partial circles covering a lot of the available space outside the petals.  I haven’t read much forward in the course but I really hope I’m going to have the opportunity to work on this one again.

The outer petal shape is string, the very detailed spines are made of Lutradur cut with the soldering iron seeing as it was so successful last time, the commas are pelmet vilene and the circles are a mix of tubular and flat washers.  The whole lot has been painted with a mix of paynes grey and white acrylic paint with some coloured metallic waxes applied by finger later.  I might varnish the petals with a high gloss sheen.

Advertisements

About Claire B

A passionate embroiderer, a printmaker and a poor sketcher (which I'm working to improve). I'm a perpetual student and love learning and participating in everything creative.
This entry was posted in Assignment 2: Colour, Design, Printing & Painting, Project 4, Textiles 1: A Creative Approach. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s