Whilst this isn’t formally part of Project 3 because I am concentrating on hand stitching during this course I did want to try out some fabric and machined stitch combinations of colour. So below are a few things I played around with. I first recorded the settings I had on my sewing machine because I find it hard to remember the tension or the screen auto and manual options I need.
After the recent pointillist exercises I’m really happy to see great colour changes in some of the samples here. I’ve done very small free machine stitches going backwards and forwards to build up small dense patches of colour. Many of the areas look like tiny dots close up but when viewed from a distance I can really see the altered colour effects.
After using prime colours I went to secondary colours.
Complimentary thread on prime colour fabrics looks excellent – very sharp and clear. I then played with different yellows and oranges in the needle and threw in a bit of complimentary purple underneath for one sample.
It’s the first time I’ve done free machining using more than one thread in the needle at a time. I’ve learned a lot, not only about colour mixing but also about free motion embroidery. These are only small samples but I certainly went through a ton of thread.