Exercise 2 – Matching colours to fabric
The greens mixed up really well, quickly and I got the right colour without too much hassle. The browns were a bit more of a challenge and it was only after looking at my samples for a while that I realised I needed some yellow (brilliant yellow) to get the warm creamy base colour. I could get plenty of beiges but they all seemed just a bit ‘off” until the yellow was added.
The purple colours were much more difficult and I had several tries. Whilst the paint was wet they looked like I had them right but when I went back a few minutes later I could clearly see they were too purple and not red enough. However I found that if I added more red I still couldn’t get it. I tried adding neutral grey (in various tones) but it was still wrong. That was when I decided to leave it and go on to the greens and browns. Finally I remembered to try putting a smidge of the complimentary colour in to the purple and see what happened. So in went a bit of yellow (brilliant yellow again) and it started to look much better.
I might not have them exactly right but overall I’m getting the idea. Seeing as I’ve spent quite a bit of time on this and I have exercises along the same line coming up next I’ve decided to leave it here and move on.